TEMECULA, CA — A Finger Lakes winery walked off with a best-in-class award at this week’s Riverside International Wine Competition held here.
Casa Larga Vineyards 2006 Vidal ice Wine was named “best dessert wine” in the Sweepstakes Awards round, just two weeks after reaping the same honor at the Pacific Rim competition.
Forty-three judges evaluated 1,923 wines over a three-day period at the South Coast Winery, Resort & Spa.
Dan Berger, the noted journalist who announced the award, called Casa Larga’s ice wine “one of the best and most consistent dessert wines produced in the United States.”
As a group, New York wines pulled down more than 100 medals, including 13 Chairman’s Awards, equivalent to a double gold which requires unanimity among tasting panelists. They included a number of Rieslings, which have achieved such stature in international and national competitions that they seem guaranteed of medals.
The Chairman’s Awards for New York entries:
• Belhurst 2009 Semi-Dry Riesling
• Casa Laega 2008 Riesling
• Chateau LaFayette Reneau 2008 Semi-Dry Estate Riesling
• Dr. Konstantin Frank 2008 Bunch Select Late Harvest Riesling
• Goose Watch 2009 Melody
• Goose Watch Snow Goose
• Hazlitt 2008 Homestead Reserve Riesling
• Hazlitt 2008 Vidal Ice Wine
• Heron Hill 2007 Late Harvest Vidal
• Liberty Vineyards Fredonia
• Penguin Bay 2007 Rosé of Chambourcin
• Thirsty Owl 2008 Riesling
• Torrey Ridge Diamond
New York gold medalists included:
• Belhurst 2009 Dry Riesling
• Belhurst 2007 Merlot
• Chateau LaFayette Reneau 2008 Dry Riesling
• Goose Watch Classic Cream Sherry
• Goose Watch 2009 Villard Blanc
• Goose Watch 2008 Traminette
• Penguin Bay 2008 Surfside Chardonnay
• Penguin Bay Tuxedo White
Other non-New York Sweepstakes Award winners:
Sparkling Wine: Barefoot Bubbly NV Sparkling Moscato Spumante (California)
Rosé Wine: Callaway Vineyard & Winery 2009 Sangiovese Rosé (California)
White Wine: Joie Farm 2009 Aromatic White Blend (British Columbia)
Red Wine: Christopher Creek 2008 Petite Sirah Reserve Estate (California)