Red Robin Gourmet Burgers Inc. has debuted a new menu as well as a 1.5% price increase. The pricing change, the first in three years, had been mentioned at the beginning of the year. (It comes at the same time as a McDonald’s announcement of phased-in price hikes.)
Neither move was unexpected. The chain has been undergoing an overall revamping of its food, beverages and business practices as part of a turnaround effort. The changes affect all corporate-owned sites; individual franchisees may choose whether to follow suit on the price hikes.
The new menu, now a tri-fold rather than a poster card, adds about a dozen items, some new and some returns.
• Returning cocktails that echo the chain’s 1960s tavern roots in Seattle, such as the Screaming Red Zombie and the Flat On Your Beak.
• New fresh-fruit cocktails such as the Strawberry Lemon Vojito, the Absolutely Absolut Freckled Lemonade and the Cherry Lime Flip.
• New shakes and smoothies.
A separate beverage menu will be available later this spring, Red Robin said.
• The Jump Starters section of the menu returns fried clam strips, served individually or combined with the new options of fried zucchini or mushrooms, with a choice of dipping sauces. Clamstrips also can be ordered as an entrée for a $9.99. Other appetizers include onion rings, kettle-cooked chips, fried jalapeño coins or cheesesticks. They are priced at for $2.99 for one or $5.79 for two. Also, Triple S Riblets, tossed in the Whiskey River BBQ sauce or a sweet/smoky/spicy barbecue sauce, served with kettle-cooked chips for $7.79.
• A new category called Perfect Combos with four options: Riblets & Clucks (riblets and fried chicken strips), Clucks & Shrimp (fried chicken and fried shrimp), Riblets & Mac’n’Cheese, and Red’s Nantucket Seafood Platter (fried cod, fried shrimp, clam strips and steak fries). The combination options range in price from $11.99 to $13.99.
• New entrées include a Grilled Chicken Alla Caprese Salad (romaine lettuce, pesto dressing, black olives and pepperoni strips served with a grilled chicken breast, fresh mozzarella, bruschetta salsa and drizzled with balsamic cream) for $9.99.
Check out my New York Drinks Events Calendar, the most comprehensive you’ll find anywhere.